Friday, April 3, 2009

Cabbage

Premium Late Flat Dutch Cabbage: In 1924 the catalog of D. M. Ferry & Co. reported that, "This strain is the result of much care on our part to develop and maintain the good qualities that have made this sort so popular." Solid flat heads are 7-8" deep by 10-14" in diameter. 100 days from transplant.


Mammoth Red Rock Cabbage: Introduced in 1889. Solid round heads are 8" in diameter and weigh 7 pounds. Red throughout, vigorous and uniform, small to medium core, sure cropper, fine flavor. Excellent for cooking, salads and pickling. 98 days from transplant.


I purchased both strains of cabbage from Seed Savers for 2009. I plan on 8 of each type, one per square foot in my boxes.

February 6 (12 weeks prior to last freeze): I started the seeds in Jiffy Strips with a popular potting soil, one seed per square. I planted 20 seeds, but only about half germinated.

March 26 (5 weeks prior to last freeze): Due to cold and wet weather, I potted up eight of each type in 4-inch pots and will keep indoors awhile longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment