Friday, April 3, 2009

Cauliflower (Brassica oleracea)

Snowball Y Cauliflower: Introduced in 1947 by Ferry Morse, Snowball Y offers smooth, tight curds on deep 6-7” heads. Dwarf plants have erect outer leaves that offer good protection. Heads can be harvested over a long period. Recommended for fall crops. Days to maturity: 70 days


I purchased Snowball Y seed from High Mowing for 2008 and had some left over. I will plant one per square foot in my boxes.

February 13 (11 weeks prior to last freeze): I started the seeds in Jiffy Strips with a popular potting soil, one seed per square. I planted 20 seeds, and all but two actually germinated.

March 26 (5 weeks prior to last freeze): The seedlings are bigger than the broccoli seedlings, which were planted a week earlier. I decided I didn't really want 16 cauliflower plants, so I potted up eight of them in 4-inch pots and left the rest for the compost pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment