Friday, March 27, 2009

2009-03-27 (Last Freeze -5 Weeks) Quick Update

I potted my broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower yesterday in 4" pots of Mel's mix. I procured used pots from a co-worker. Nothing like free stuff! Some of the seedlings are just getting their first true leaves, others have had them for a few days, and others don't have any yet. Not sure where they should be. The onions are ready to go outside, but I'm not ready for them. Hopefully this weekend. The onions planted in the vermiculite five weeks ago are easily as big as the ones planted in soil seven weeks ago.

The chard came up last week. The peppers and lettuce started coming up this week. Only three of ten bell peppers so far, no habaneros and only one cayenne, but the jalapenos and serranos are going gangbusters. All of those were planted two weeks ago. Some of the lettuce hasn't germinated, but a new crop is going in this weekend for a staggered harvest.

Tomatoes and celery were planted last week. The tomatoes started coming up this morning, about 80% germination so far. Woohoo! No celery yet.

2 comments:

  1. The real name is swiss chard. I learned recently that it is closely related to the beet, but it is grown for its greens rather than the root. I've never had it, so I can't tell you much more about it.

    ReplyDelete