Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring has sprung

The weather has been nice for the last few weeks, with one exception.  The week of Spring Break was cold and stormy, with several inches of snow falling.  Luckily, we were in southern Nevada that week.  Unfortunately, I had put my broccoli out in the garden the week before without hardening it off properly and I lost all but three plants.  I'll have to see how they come back from that experience.

We also planted peas, carrots, chard, lettuce and radishes the week before the snow and transplanted the onions outside.  The peas are just starting to emerge.  The onions look like they haven't been watered enough, because they haven't.  My boxes seem overrun with weeds already, so I'll have to tackle that as well.

We've been following the planting schedule, so we have peppers, tomatoes and pumpkins going, and just got summer squash in the pots yesterday.  I also decided to try some herbs again.  I tried those years ago and didn't even get anything to germinate.  I had more success this time, with parsley, sage, cilantro, mint, basil and thyme.  Sorry, no rosemary.



I also potted up my Anaheim pepper that I planted awhile ago, and have been hardening off my second set of broccoli.  And the boys and I moved some fencing yesterday in an effort to give the chickens some room to roam all the way around the garden.  I hope to finish that project this week. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the last frost!  Happy gardening!

1 comment:

  1. The herbs smell so yummy! Sorry about the broccoli. And the weeds. Love you!

    ReplyDelete