Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Warmer weather is ahead, right?

I just got some seeds planted and thought I should do a quick post.  It has been a very wet spring.  Not as snowy as last year, but still cold.  I managed to get some peas in the ground a couple of weeks ago and they have sprouted.  I left some onions in the garden last fall and they're growing really well, too.  This morning I got some carrots, lettuce and radishes in the ground.  More rain is expected and possibly some snow showers, so I shouldn't have to water outside for awhile more.  I scattered some old lettuce seed on one of my boxes awhile ago, too, but none of it has germinated.

As for the other stuff, the broccoli and cauliflower are getting hardened off.  I should be able to put them out in the garden within a few days.  I'm going to need the pots to get my melons started anyway.


Inside, I have several herbs, celery, tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, squash and cucumbers in various stages of growth in the house.  I moved my gardening table to the south end of the basement where I can take advantage of the south-facing window.  I am also using Miracle-Gro and ASAP Plant Minerals to give the seedlings a good start.  Hopefully that generates some good results.

 

This last picture is of a volunteer that started in a pot I had outside.  I think it's a canyon maple.  I'm going to let it grow and see how it turns out.  I'd love to have more of these trees in our yard.  The leaves turn a fantastic orange and red color in the fall.

So, just a few more weeks until outdoor gardening will be in full swing!  Now to take care of all the weeds in the yard...

No comments:

Post a Comment