Sunday, May 10, 2009

2009-05-10 Quick Update

I did a marathon session in the garden yesterday, and now I'm glowing like a nuclear fuel rod (a la The Simpsons). But, I finished my boxes and got everything else into the garden except the melons and celery. Along with the final tomatoes (Mountain Princess), I also planted boston beans, black beans and kidney beans. My string beans have yet to sprout, but I dug one up and it has a nice long taproot, so it's just a matter of time. Neither the winter squash nor the corn have sprouted either.

A friend asked how to support tomatoes without poking holes in the weed barrier at the bottom of the box (which I didn't use, and will probably regret). So I'll have to think about that one. I will probably want some kind of support for the Mt Princess tomatoes, but I don't want to use tomato cages. Maybe just rebar, conduit and trellis netting like for the others...

I had a few casualties this week: one of my bell peppers was snapped off, probably from the robins that are nesting in the trees behind the garden and are frequently hopping around in the boxes; one of my habaneros just fell apart (no idea what happened to it); and one of my pumpkins looks like it froze yesterday morning. It did get cold, but that one plant was the only thing that showed any kind of frost damage. Really weird.

Anyway, the forecast is for lows in the 40s and 50s, so I'm feeling pretty confident that the last freeze is behind us. Woohoo!

2 comments:

  1. Garden looks great. Sorry about the sunburn. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are always some casualties it seems. I get hungry every time I visit. I wonder why... Mmmm, squash! Green beans... Okay, I'll go salivate somewhere else now. ;)

    ReplyDelete